Thank you for expressing an interest in purchasing a rabbit from our Rabbitry ~ Radical Rabbits! We are pleased that you have chosen our Rabbitry to purchase your new show/brood Holland lop or Mini Rex from. If this is a, show/brood, pet or a companion we want to be sure you have all the equipment and supplies needed to make your new family member and make him or her comfortable before they arrive home. We have links on our web page to help, from whom we purchase our supplies from, as well as recommend you visit the Tractor Supply in Highland as we deal with them offend and they stock our food.
The food that we currently feed is Nutrena Country Feed 16% Protein ~ (http://www.nutrenaworld.com/products/more-species/rabbits/country-feeds-rabbit-feed/) from our local feed store , NY.
However, you will find any pellet that is of 15% protein will be sufficient for a pet rabbit. I recommend blue seal blue seal bunny 16 = $8.50 for 25 pd bag or ask your local feed store what is the most popular rabbit feed purchased, this way you know you will always have fresh feed. We also free feed all the hay they can eat. We us bails but for one rabbit you can use Timothy hay in bags from the feed store or Timothy cubes. We also use horse pine pellets (40 pd about $5) for the pull out litter tray with the wee pads and 1/2 cup PDZ for absorbing ammonia we purchase these items at our local tractor supply.
Tractor Supply Shopping List:
1)***** http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ware-manufacturing-rabbit-starter-kit or http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/home-rig-housetrade%3B-complete-hutch-kit-24-in Don't forget if you do not have a small carrier you may want to purchase something like this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/remingtonreg%3B-junior-plastic-kennel-14-in-h
2) http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/home-rig-housetrade%3B-resting-platform (if wanted)
3) http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/lixit-top-fill-water-bottle-with-valve-32-oz (if not in purchased in starter kit)
4) http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ware-manufacturing-slide-n-crock-10-oz (if not in purchased in starter kit)
5) http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/carefreshreg%3B-natural-pet-bedding-14-l or http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cozy-n-freshtrade%3B-natural-pine-pellets-20-lb
*** ( I use = http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tractor-supply-coreg%3B-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb) more bang for your buck!!! combined with 1/4 cup in each litter pan of = ( http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/sweet-pdzreg%3B-stall-refresher-25-lb?cm_vc=-10005) for ammonia absorption strongly recommend. I also use wee pads to line my trays this completely by choice.
6) As I stated I use Nutrena in 50 pound bags. You may want to purchase a 25 pound page so feed doesn't go stale. I would suggest purchasing one that and start to slowly transitioning over on day 3 to either the bunny 16 by blue seal or one from your local feed store like:
7) Timothy Hay or Timothy cubes can be purchased online or at your local feed store and is an important part of your bunny’s diet! : http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atimothy%20hay
8) Toys are optional but do help keep bunny happy:
9) GROOMING SUPPLIES:
* Wire slicker brush- small ~ http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/safarireg%3B-self-cleaning-slicker-brush-small OR * groom stone for mini rexes~ http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/farnamreg%3B-slick-n-easytrade%3B-horse-grooming-block
* nail clippers (dog are fine) http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/safarireg%3B-cat-nail-trimmer), & http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ideal-animal-health-blood-stop-powder-16-oz (quick stop)
I prefer and use my cage builder, she is located in Hudson but Hosts shows all over the north east and can build you anything you want better then you will never find a cage in a store for the price and better quality. Audrey can also provide you dishes, resting mats, water bottles just tell her Radical Rabbits sent you and she will be sure to take care of you. Even if you buy something else for now and purchase something like this down the road it makes life some much easier:
I hope you find our bunny shopping list helpful! I wish I had one when I first started..lol I can't tell you the hours I spent aimlessly staring at the isles of bunny supplies... Now I can whisk in, grab my supplies and I'm off running. We look forward to see you soon!
Thanks again for Contacting Radical Rabbits~ Cher & Erica!